King County Coalition for Developmental Disabilities
We help people develop the relationships and skills they need to change systems.
We are people with disabilities, families and neighbors, and professionals who work in health, education, and social services. We protect and promote the rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and work to build inclusive communities.
Some of the the policy areas we work on:
- Access to inclusive, high quality early learning and child care
- Access to inclusive K-12 education, where all students feel they belong and are a member of the school community
- Access to habilitative services across the lifespan that help individuals keep, learn or improve skills needed for daily living
- A chance to work, volunteer or otherwise contribute to the community
- Affordable housing and safe communities
- Support for family caregivers
- Access to community-based health and social services
Sign up to receive our Resources newsletter for people with disabilities
Workshops and trainings
Together with the Information and Family Support Team, the Advocacy Team offers opportunities to learn and connect with each other.
Please check our Community Calendar for upcoming events. These can include:
- Workshops to help you learn about and navigate services
- Hot topic events to discuss emerging issues
- Classes to help you develop civic engagement and leadership skills
- Meet and greets to connect with leaders in the field
- Forums and town halls to connect with elected leaders or meet candidates for office
COHORT SERIES: We offer two cohort-style learning series, Leadership Intensive and The Inclusion Academy.
- Leadership Intensive is offered as funding is available and unites people with disabilities, family members, and allies for a yearlong exploration of disability history, advocacy and leadership development.
- The Inclusion Academy is a 6- to 9-month course for parents of children ages 2 to 5 (and allies!) that focuses on inclusive early learning, disability equity and advocacy support.
- Timely communications via email and social media to inform you about public policy and emerging issues that affect people with developmental disabilities
- Group gatherings to learn about and explore topics
- Legislative updates and training
- Support to advocate and engage with decision makers
- Advocacy Days participation in Olympia, in partnership with The Arc of Washington and the Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council
Facts about developmental disabilities and services
- The Arc of Washington
- Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council
- Investing in Student Potential
- Early Learning Action Alliance/Children’s Alliance
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance
- King County Board for Developmental Disabilities
- Self Advocates in Leadership
- People First of Washington
- Allies in Advocacy
- Washington State Parent Coalitions for Developmental Disabilities
- Community Advocacy Coalition for Developmental Disabilities