A Support Group Pilot - Family Caregiver Communications ~ Constructive Communication
The May session will focus on the importance of communication for unpaid family caregivers. Often, we all struggle with asking for help and support. The ability to communicate needs and wishes is vital for the well-being of family caregivers and those under their care. This session will explore constructive communication guidelines, such as the utilization of "I" Statements, Active Listening, and Assertive Emotional Communication. There will be opportunities for discussion, emotional support, and personal reflection.
What is it?
• The pilot or test program hopes to have 25 caregivers attend once a month for a total of four months.
• A great place to meet fellow caregivers and learn from each other in a supportive space.
• The 4 sessions, one per month, each have their own topic March through June 2021.
• Caregivers can remain anonymous during the support group sessions. They won’t be asked to speak or turn their video camera on. It is totally up to the caregiver if they wish to actively participate.
Why a Pilot (test program)?
• Unpaid family caregiver attendance and opinions are important and will help create future support groups for family caregivers!
• We will ask caregivers to answer a few questions to help us better understand caregiver support needs and opinions. The survey is optional and highly encouraged.
How to register for the support groups:
• We will use the Hey Peers website (https://www.heypeers.com/)
1. You will be asked to create an account. Click the register button on the upper-right side of the website to create your account.
2. After you create an account, return to this flyer and click “REGISTER FOR THIS SESSION” for each of the 4 sessions listed below.